Another year is in the books for the #BlueCrew — and what a year it was.
From unveiling one of our most anticipated new features and new customer stories from esteemed brands to receiving martech industry accolades and recognition for our customer data platform and company culture, 2019 was certainly a year to remember for all the right reasons at BlueConic.
AI Workbench and other core features added to our CDP
Our dedicated product development team not only enhanced existing capabilities within our CDP over the course of 2019, but they also released some exciting new features — most notably, AI Workbench.
With the option to select from a gallery of predictive models available in the platform or build or import your own models into the platform, AI Workbench enables marketers and their data science teams to amplify the power of machine learning for marketing.
Enrich profiles with customer scores, build smarter segments, and export data to business intelligence tools to enhance other data sets for analytics purposes: That’s what customers get with AI Workbench.
Because AI Workbench is connected to one’s unified, customer profile database in BlueConic, it makes it possible to run predictive models across all profiles without the hassle of pulling and normalizing data from multiple sources first.
Bringing first-party data closer to machine learning models enables both teams to work faster and more efficiently and get the data they need when they need it.
Our customers are already taking advantage of machine learning in BlueConic for tasks like predictive behavioral scoring and providing one-to-one recommendations. But since early 2019, with AI Workbench, our customers are finding new and innovative ways to apply data science for marketing.
Director of marketing technology and BlueConic user Eric Gilreath discussed how his team is using AI Workbench to improve its subscription marketing efforts.
AI Workbench, while exciting (and very popular) among BlueConic customers, was far from the only upgrade the BlueCrew made to our pure-play customer data platform in 2019.
Some other notable improvements and additions include:
- Enhanced timeline for streamlined order and event tracking: Using timeline, BlueConic customers can see transaction data alongside website behavior, email behavior, and more. For example, ecommerce marketers who use Timeline can get an even more granular view of buyers’ transaction data and decide what to include or suppress in ad retargeting or in their emails to this particular individual.
- Open-time email recommendations to improve personalization: Our customers can now dynamically update personalized recommendations in emails up to the second they are opened. Built on BlueConic recommendations, marketers can design emails that change based on individuals’ changing attributes and most recent brand engagements to ensure only the most pertinent products or content is promoted.
- Consent management functionality to comply with data laws: With privacy laws coming into effect all over the globe, it’s more important than ever to focus on ways to manage consent preferences. One of the best ways is to store it in a customer profile that is also connected to the rest of your marketing technologies. In 2018, we helped BlueConic customers prepare for and comply with GDPR — a major task undertaken by pretty much every big brand that conducts business in the EU. In 2019, we created enhanced consent functionality features to encompass new laws like CCPA and PIPEDA.
- Several new connections to other business and marketing technologies: One of BlueConic’s core value proposition (different from, say, marketing clouds) is that we’re agnostic to the systems and tools you want to connect to the CDP: from BI tools and ESPs to CRMs and adtech solutions (and the vendors that build them, don’t matter). During 2019, we continued to integrate with crucial technologies, like LiveRamp, to ensure our customers can unify all essential customer data and activate it with ease.
In short, we made many refinements to our customer data platform in 2019 — and even more enhancements can be expected in 2020. (More on this shortly.)
Continual industry recognition for our platform and culture
Our team’s hard work over the past year certainly didn’t go unnoticed. We were grateful to receive accolades from a number of respected entities in 2019:
- The MarTech Breakthrough Awards named BlueConic the Best CDP of 2019: As MarTech Breakthrough Managing Director James Johnson noted, “marketers can finally make the single customer view the center of their entire infrastructure” with BlueConic in their stacks.
- Our CDP was deemed the Best Overall Value by The Relevancy Group in the 2019 CDP Relevancy Ring: The renowned research and advisory firm provided a “quantifiable measurement” of the best-in-class customer data platforms on the marketplace today, and BlueConic was deemed a leading CDP.
- Marketing Tech Outlook included BlueConic on its list of top 10 customer data platforms in 2019: I discussed the first-party data opportunity for brands in the publication earlier in 2019.
The icing on the cake for the #BlueCrew was being recognized for our outstanding culture and diversity. With an A+ culture score and a position in the top 5% of similarly sized companies for diversity, we were beyond excited to learn Comparably honored BlueConic in both areas in 2019.
In Cory’s words: “As a multi-national startup, inclusivity and respect are equally important as grit and passion in our organization — our success as a business depends on it. We’re all thrilled and honored by this recognition from Comparably and grateful to have employees who share our commitment to the company’s vision, mission, and values.”
In addition to these accolades, BlueConic was featured in several esteemed publications — both guest pieces from our leadership team and mentions about our CDP’s effectiveness for marketers:
- Cory wrote about “customer journey 2.0” for CMSWire, noting how lifecycle orchestration will be the new focus for marketers in 2020 and beyond. Also with 2020 in mind, Cory produced this piece for AdExchanger on why marketers and marketing technologists need to work together to build their martech stacks with data unification top if mind.
- To cut through the ongoing confusion, Cory also wrote about the myths and realities of a true CDP back in the spring for CMSWire.
- What’s more, BlueConic Director of Product Marketing Sam Ngo discussed three things smart marketers must know about marketing’s future in a guest blog for The Relevancy Group.
- Netherlands-based retail publication Emerce highlighted BlueConic customer NL International’s personalization strategy using our CDP to better serve and understand its customer base. Meanwhile, Built In selected BlueConic as one of 20 companies transforming the modern, digital landscape and “redefining marketing.”
Spreading word about the benefits of the CDP (and, in particular, our CDP) is something we’re beyond passionate about — and something you can expect much more from us in the new decade.
Substantial growth — with much more on the way in 2020
It takes the right experience and talent to augment our platform’s capabilities year after year and ensure our customers keep unlocking incremental value over time.
With that in mind, we hired a number of new faces onto the BlueCrew in 2019 across both sides of the pond, as they say. And we’ll be close to doubling our headcount again in 2020 now that we’ve secured $13 million in Series B funding, led by Spring Lake Equity Partners.
New hires will be across the board — product development, data science, customer success, sales, and marketing — to keep up with demand from marketers across all markets and industries.
Most brands still lack a single source of customer data truth down to the individual level that is accessible in real time to marketers and their activation channels. That’s why we’ve designed our CDP from inception to meet the ever-evolving needs of the marketer, and we’ll continue to build on that foundation of flexibility as we lead the category into its next stage of maturity.
There are many new features coming to our customer data platform in the year ahead. While you’ll have to wait a bit longer to hear about them, BlueConic customers (and those interested in our CDP) can rest assured knowing we have a well-defined road map for continued growth in 2020.
With more members of the BlueCrew and continual upgrades to our platform on the way, you can certainly expect BlueConic to grow its martech industry footprint even further in 2020.